Students at some northern Iowa schools were served green beans that were part of a recall because they could have been contaminated with botulism.
Students in Rockwell-Swaledale and Sheffield-Chapin/Meservey-Thornton schools were served the beans on Jan. 7, Jan. 11 and Jan. 17, but no children appear to have been affected, the schools said on their Web sites and according to a statement last week by the Food and Drug Administration.
Parents were told of the recall.
The beans were produced by New Era Canning Co., of New Era, Mich.
The recall affecting Iowa was issued on Jan. 18, but an earlier recall was issued after an FDA inspection on Dec. 20 raised concern over contamination. The initial recall did not include Iowa.
Symptoms of botulism poisoning can begin anywhere from six hours to two weeks after someone is exposed. They can include double and blurred vision, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth and muscle weakness. If untreated, it can lead to paralysis.
Information from: Globe Gazette, http://www.globegazette.com/
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.