Small Fire Breaks Out in Ala. Jail

January 19, 2004

Inmates at the Chilton County Jail in Alabama were temporarily evacuated last week when a fire broke out in the jail’s laundry room. No one was injured. The fire occurred at 3 p.m.

“Our investigation has determined that there was an overabundance of lint in an electric dryer,” Acting State Fire Marshal Richard Montgomery said. “The dryer overheated and caught fire.”

Montgomery said the jail was filled with smoke, but that there was no significant property damage, other than the dryer.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.