N.C. Gov. Declares State of Disaster and Emergency for Six Counties Hit by Winter Storm

June 8, 2004

North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley has declared a state of disaster and emergency for Bolton, Lake Waccamaw, Chadbourn, Tabor City, Fair Bluff and Whiteville due to a Jan. 26-27 ice storm.

The towns qualify for a Type 1 Disaster Declaration and are eligible to receive state disaster aid in the form of grant assistance to make repairs on infrastructure and public facilities. Also eligible are the Brunswick Electric Membership Corp. in Columbus County and the Four County Electric Membership Corp. in Bladen and Columbus counties.

”These communities and the electric co-ops had significant damages from this ice storm and need this assistance,” Easley said. ”The state will do its part to help pay for this recovery.”

Combined damages for the communities and two area electric co-operatives are estimated at $1,591,254. The state will pay 75 percent of those costs and the eligible entities will be responsible for the remaining 25 percent match.

”We appreciate the assistance of Gov. Easley and the state to help southeastern North Carolina recover from the ice storm,” said Sen. Charles W. Albertson of Beulaville.

”This money will go far to help Columbus County recoup its losses and to prepare for future storms,” said Sen. R.C. Soles Jr. of Tabor City.

The Brunswick EMC reported estimated damages of $841,246, and Four County EMC had $405,467 in losses. Municipal estimated damage and recovery costs included the following: Whiteville, $136,038; Tabor City, $72,476; Chadbourn, $55,239; Bolton, $29,293; Lake Waccamaw, $26,150; Fair Bluff, $25,345.

State and local damage assessment teams examined the damage and helped tally costs.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.