Detectives with the Louisiana State Police Insurance Fraud Unit have broken up a criminal staged crash ring with the arrest of eight people.
In February 2012, Lafayette Field Office Insurance Fraud Detectives received information from the Louisiana Department of Insurance about crashes which occurred in the Lafayette Parish area. Early indications pointed toward the fact that the crashes may have been staged; and that the occupants of the vehicles may have defrauded insurance companies out of hundreds of thousands of dollars.
In the initial stages of their investigation, detectives learned that three crashes in question were staged from September of 2011 through May of 2012. While reviewing the crash reports, detectives found that six children, ranging in ages from one to thirteen-years-old, were among the occupants in the various vehicles. Two of the crashes involved a total of eight people, including children, while one crash involved a total of ten people.
Information gathered during the investigation showed that 43-year-old Farice Daigle Jr. of Arnaudville coordinated and arranged the crashes. For his part, Daigle was paid a portion of each individual’s settlement from the insurance claims.
Each adult involved in the crash filed separate fraudulent bodily injury claims for themselves and the children for which they were responsible. In all, the total amount of money fraudulently obtained by the group was over $112,000.00.
On Friday, June 21, 2013, Detectives located Daigle in Lafayette and arrested him without incident. He was booked into the Lafayette Parish Correctional Center for warrants charging him with insurance fraud (3 counts), theft over $500 (3 counts), child endangerment (2 counts) and money laundering (2 counts.) Daigle remains in jail on a $500,000 bond.
According to authorities, the following individuals were arrested for warrants in relation to this case:
- Chase Joseph 24-years-old of Lafayette, one count each of insurance fraud, theft over $500 and child endangerment;
- Chelsie Chevalier 21-years-old of Baton Rouge, one count each of insurance fraud and theft over $500;
- Candice Alex 27-years-old of Carencro, one count each of insurance fraud, theft over $500 and child endangerment;
- Cherita Washington 24-years-old of Opelousas, one count each of insurance fraud, theft over $500 and child endangerment;
- Gregory Hayes 29-years-old of Opelousas, two counts each of insurance fraud, theft over $500 and one count of child endangerment;
- Angel Broussard 21-years-old of Baton Rouge, one count each of insurance fraud and theft over $500;
- Jamie Ceasar 32-years-old of Opelousas, one count of insurance fraud;
- Kendall Traller 24-years-old of Lafayette, one count each of insurance fraud, theft over $500 and conspiracy to commit child endangerment.
Source: Louisiana State Police
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.