A legal challenge to Delaware’s enforcement of a 1998 settlement between the states and tobacco manufacturers has been dropped.
The development was announced on Wednesday by the Delaware Department of Justice. It says that the tobacco companies had argued that in 2003 that Delaware did not satisfy its obligation to regulate smaller tobacco companies that were not participants in the settlement agreement.
Major tobacco companies make millions of dollars in annual payments to the state as part of the settlement and officials say Delaware could have faced a potential loss of between $4.5 million and $24 million if the legal challenge had been successful. The legal challenge began in 2005.
Delaware Attorney General Beau Biden says he is pleased that the payments to Delaware are protected.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Snap, YouTube Settle School-Social Media Suit Ahead of Trial
Ransom Attacks up, but Payments Headed Down as Cyber Becomes Top of Mind
New York Homes Most Exposed to Hurricane Risk, Beating Miami
Hail to High Variance: Rethinking Test Squares and Roof Damage Assessment