carbon monoxide poisoning News

Slew of Outages Lingers in Tri-State Area Four Days After Storm

NEW YORK — More than 695,000 homes and businesses in the New York tri-state area were still without electricity at midday Saturday as utilities continued trying to get the lights on four days after Tropical Storm Isaias. Tuesday’s storm dealt …

Smooth Sailing for a Pollution Exclusion?

The question of whether carbon monoxide constitutes a pollutant for purposes of a standard policy pollution exclusion has been mixed among the courts. Whether carbon monoxide constitutes pollution is jurisdiction-specific and depends on whether the jurisdiction adopts a traditional or …

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning an Odorless Killer

A quadruple tragedy that claimed the lives of four area young people elicited shock and sympathy from local officials, as well as calls for increased vigilance to prevent deadly carbon monoxide poisonings. “My heart goes out to these families,” said …

9 Hospitalized After Carbon Monoxide Leak in Provo Homes

Authorities say nine people were taken to the hospital over the weekend after a carbon monoxide leak in a Provo, Utah, fourplex. Provo fire officials were called to The Boulders at about 2:30 p.m. Sunday when people in the apartments …

Carbon Monoxide Detectors to be Required in New York Restaurants

Restaurants and commercial buildings statewide will be required starting next June to install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors. The two laws signed this week apply to New York City and the rest of the state. Sponsors say they are intended …

Carbon Monoxide Exposure at Colorado Plant Sends 6 Hospital

Authorities say six employees were hospitalized after high levels of carbon monoxide forced the evacuation of a food production facility in Boulder, Colorado. Police spokeswoman Kim Kobel tells The Daily Camera that workers at Evol Foods began feeling ill at …

MSHA, Widows Agree to Settle Mine Fire Suit for $1M

The U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration has agreed to pay $1 million to settle a lawsuit over the deaths of two miners in a 2006 fire at an underground coal mine in West Virginia, according to court documents. Under …

Contractor Connected to North Carolina Motel Deaths Told to Cease Work

A judge has ordered that a company that installed a used swimming pool water heater at a Boone, N.C., motel where three people died to never again work as a plumbing, heating or fire sprinkler contactor. The Charlotte Observer reported …

Determining the Number of Occurrences From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Does a carbon monoxide leak in a duplex apartment building constitute a single occurrence or multiple occurrences for purposes of liability insurance? This question was recently answered by the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeal in Kosnoski v. Rogers, 2014 …

Maine Resort Will Have Carbon Monoxide Detectors in All Rooms

The fire chief in Ogunquit, Maine, says a time-share resort where guests were sickened by carbon monoxide won’t be fined, and it plans to install carbon monoxide detectors in all 77 of its rooms. Fire Chief Mark O’Brien told the …