Restaurants and commercial buildings statewide will be required starting next June to install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors.
The two laws signed this week apply to New York City and the rest of the state.
Sponsors say they are intended to extend the requirement for the detectors already in place for apartments and one- and two-family homes.
They noted that a carbon monoxide leak from a malfunctioning water heater pipe recently killed a Long Island restaurant manager and sickened nearly 30 people.
The colorless, odorless gas comes from incomplete combustion. Milder symptoms from inhaling it include dizziness, headaches and confusion.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.