West Virginia Hotel Evacuated After Guest Dies, 4 Sickened

February 2, 2012

Authorities have evacuated a South Charleston, W.Va., hotel after one guest died and four others were sickened.

South Charleston fire Capt. Virgil White says firefighters detected high levels of carbon monoxide on several floors at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites on Corridor G.

Fire Chief Greg Petry says all five male victims were found Tuesday morning in the deceased’s room on the fifth floor. He didn’t show for a meeting and the others became sick when they went to his room to check on him.

Charleston EMS supervisor Danny Anderson says three EMS workers who came into contact with the deceased’s body fluids are being evaluated as a precaution.

Petry says guests won’t be allowed inside the hotel until the source of the carbon monoxide is determined.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.