Deep frying is an increasingly popular way to cook a turkey, but it’s not without its dangers.
Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine urges Georgians to be careful when deep frying the holiday bird.
He offers some basic tips:
- Always use turkey fryers outdoors, on a flat surface away from decks and buildings;
- Don’t move a fryer while the oil is hot, and cool the oil completely before emptying it from the fryer;
- Don’t overfill the fryer with oil;
- Use the thermometer, and don’t heat the oil above the recommended temperature;
- Keep children and pets away from fryers, and don’t leave the fryer unattended;
- Thaw the turkey completely before cooking;
- In case of fire, call the fire department immediately, and don’t try to put it out with water.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.