The state of Illinois has appealed the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s denial of the state’s request for aid to local governments after deadly tornadoes in November.
State officials say the Illinois Emergency Management Agency filed the appeal on Thursday. Last month FEMA sent a letter to Illinois emergency officials denying federal help. Thursday’s appeal includes $21.4 million for disaster-related expenses to nine counties affected by the Nov. 17 tornado outbreak. The original request that was denied included $6.1 million in expenses. The state says the increase is due to additional costs for debris removal and infrastructure damage.
At least seven people were killed statewide and hundreds of homes and businesses destroyed. The federal government has previously approved millions of dollars in storm aid for Illinois residents.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
USDA Says Argentine Beef That Missed Inspection Is Recalled
Trump Wins Permission to Revise BBC Suit to Remove Brand Damage
Bodily Injury Is Now A Big Share of Auto Claims Payouts. Is AI to Blame for That Too?
UnitedHealth Investor Suit Alleges Security, Governance Lapses