Cigarette Blamed in Fire That Gutted Rhode Island Building

November 13, 2008

Fire officials now believe careless smoking caused the fire that decimated a four-story, multi-family apartment building in Woonsocket, Rhode Island.

Flames erupted in the East School Street building Monday night, spreading through hot air ducts and leaping out of the roof and upper-story windows.

No one was injured.

The only family living in the foreclosed building was in the process of moving out but lost most of what they owned in the fire.

Fire officials were investigating whether the fire was suspicious, but say they now think careless smoking sparked the blaze.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.