apartment fire News

Bond Hearing in Mississippi Apartment Arson Case Resumes Thursday

A bond reduction hearing for a woman accused of setting a D’Iberville, Miss., apartment building on fire resumes Thursday in Harrison County Circuit Court. Krystal Gonzalez and her attorney, Michael Crosby, are seeking a reduction in the $2 million bond …

Wrongful Death Suit Filed in North Dakota Apartment Fire Case

The parents of a Fargo, N.D., man who died after an apartment fire say the landlord is to blame for failing to maintain a smoke detector. Dwayne and Donna Peyton are seeking at least $100,000 in their wrongful death lawsuit …

Maryland Woman Charged With Arson, Fraud After Fire

The State Fire Marshal’s Office has charged an Edgewood, Md., woman with arson and fraud after a fire in her apartment. Forty-nine-year-old Loretta Cunningham turned herself in to Maryland State police Wednesday. She is being held on $100,000 secured bond. …

Rice Bag Causes Oregon Apartment Fire

Firefighters say a rice bag intended as therapy for sore muscles got too much time in the microwave, burned a couch and then gutted an apartment in a Jackson County town. The Medford Mail Tribune reports that a resident of …

Fatal Apartment Fire in Las Vegas Ruled Accidental

Fire officials are calling an intense Las Vegas, Nev., apartment blaze that killed one woman and injured another accidental. Las Vegas fire spokesman Tim Szymanski says careless smoking couldn’t be ruled out in the two-alarm fire a little before 9 …

Washington Apartment Fire Caused by Blocked Flue

A Washington apartment fire that displaced six families was caused by roofers who had covered up a fireplace flue, according to the Bellevue Fire Department. Flames burned through the roof Monday evening and caused $300,000 damage to the building.

Grill Blamed for Virginia Apartment Fire

Prince William County, Va., authorities say a propane grill in an apartment is to blame for displacing nearly 100 residents in a four-alarm fire this week. Fire department spokeswoman Rebecca Barnes says the grill in a third-floor apartment triggered the …

Texas Man Dies in Fire After Cigarette Ignites Oxygen

A fire official says a 73-year-old Panhandle man died in an apartment fire after his cigarette ignited a home oxygen supply used to help him breathe. Kenneth Herin died in the Sunday afternoon fire in Borger. Preliminary autopsy results show …

West Virginia Woman Admits Role in Arson Conspiracy

Federal prosecutors say a Logan County, W.Va., woman has admitted her role in starting an apartment fire in exchange for cash from someone who filed an insurance claim. U.S. Attorney Booth Goodwin says 46-year-old Kimberly D. Kinder of Chapmanville pleaded …