Fatal Apartment Fire in Las Vegas Ruled Accidental

December 18, 2012

Fire officials are calling an intense Las Vegas, Nev., apartment blaze that killed one woman and injured another accidental.

Las Vegas fire spokesman Tim Szymanski says careless smoking couldn’t be ruled out in the two-alarm fire a little before 9 p.m. Friday at the Sunrise Gardens apartments near Valley View Boulevard and Sahara Avenue.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy flames and smoke, and a woman was found unresponsive in inside the apartment. She was pronounced dead at University Medical Center in Las Vegas.

Another woman was treated at the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Investigators found the fire started on a couch in a common living room area of a four-unit quad apartment.

It caused extensive damage upstairs and moderate damage to four units downstairs.

Damage was estimated at $200,000.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.