Review the latest federal guidance for automated driving systems to industry and States as set forth by the U.S. Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
Specifically, the new Voluntary Guidance includes:
- Focuses on SAE International Levels of Automation 3-5 – Automated Driving Systems (ADSs) – Conditional, High, and Full Automation);
- Clarifies the guidance process and that entities do not need to wait to test or deploy their ADSs;
- Revises unnecessary design elements from the safety self-assessment;
- Aligns Federal Guidance with the latest developments and industry terminology;
- Clarifies Federal and State roles going forward
A Vision for Safety 2.0 paves the way for the safe deployment of advanced driver assistance technologies by providing voluntary guidance that encourages best practices and prioritizes safety. The document also provides technical assistance to States and best practices for policymakers.