We thank Optum for sharing their latest report on opioid use in 2018, and progress being made through both private and public efforts.
The report includes many insights including:
- Roughly 21 to 29% of claimants prescribed opioids for chronic pain misuse them
- Opioid abusers generate, on average, annual direct health care costs 8.7 times higher than non-abusers
- The U.S. consumes more than:
- 99% of the world’s hydrocodone (Vicodin)
- 81% of the world’s oxycodone(OxyContin, Percocet)
- 65% of the world’s hydromorphine (Dilaudid)
This report also includes a list of legislative updates for each state.