A Hawaii Island woman says her son saved her home from a fast-moving fire by quelling with a pot of miso soup.
Joy Gardner of Papaaloa tells the Honolulu Star-Advertiser her son Reuben Prensky woke up early Saturday to crackling noises and found the laundry sink engulfed in flames.
She said Prensky grabbed a large pot of miso soup on the stovetop to douse the fire, slowing it enough for him to grab the garden hose to extinguish the fire before firefighters arrived.
Fire officials said his quick thinking saved about $200,000 in property.
They said the fire started from an electrical short in a light switch in the laundry area.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.