‘Spider Pig’ Balloon Catches Fire in Arizona

January 24, 2012

Spider Pig, the special shape balloon that flew in the 2011 Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, has caught fire at an Arizona show.

KTVK-TV reports that the hot-air balloon broke loose from its ropes and caught fire at the annual Hot Air Balloon Festival in Carefree, Ariz., on Saturday. It took off and part of the envelope caught fire briefly.

The pilot, 71-year old Wayne Bond, flew the balloon about a half mile away. No one in the crowd was injured.

It’s not exactly clear yet as to how much damage Spider Pig sustained or how long it will take to be repaired.

The pilot blamed the accident on high winds.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.