Holiday Candle Sparks Small Fire at Nevada School

December 8, 2011

Fire officials say about 500 students evacuated safely after a holiday decoration on a teacher’s desk ignited at a private school in Las Vegas.

Las Vegas fire spokesman Tim Szymanski there were no injuries in the 9 a.m. Tuesday fire, which was confined to the desk in a room at the Cornerstone Christian Academy & Tyke’s Preschool on the city’s west side.

An automatic fire sprinkler system doused the flames.

Szymanski says students in grades preschool to eight were moved to a chapel on part of the school campus away from the classroom.

They were able to return to classes after firefighters cleared smoke from the building.

Investigators ruled the fire accidental and estimated damage at $5,000.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.