Overcooked french fries are being blamed for a fire in a Cupertino, Calif., apartment complex that forced about 60 people from their homes Saturday night.
A Red Cross spokesman says a fire reported around 6 p.m. at the Village Green Apartments damaged 16 units and destroyed eight.
Spokesman Jim Mallory says the Red Cross opened up a shelter at a nearby high school and put up some of the displaced residents, though most appeared to have made other arrangements.
An investigator with the Santa Clara County Fire Department says the fire is believed to have been started when one of the residents forgot about some french fries cooking on a stove.
The 100 firefighters who responded to the blaze had it under control by 7:50 p.m.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.