Bird Nest Causes Fire at Washington Cancer Care Center

May 4, 2011

A bird nest on a gas fireplace vent caused a fire at a cancer care center in Yakima.

About 30 people were evacuated Monday at the North Star Lodge as firefighters prevented the fire from spreading. Damage is estimated at about $18,000.

KNDO reports another nest was found on another fireplace vent, so Deputy Fire Marshal Joe Caruso ordered all gas appliances in the building shut down until all the vents are inspected and screened.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.