Fire Kills Dozens of Animals in Wyoming Home

September 8, 2008

A basement fire killed more than 50 pets at a home in Gillette, Wyo.

Fire Marshal Dave Mansur said the dead pets included two dogs, five rabbits, four tortoises, 20 hedgehogs and 30 chinchillas.

Mansur says all the animals died of smoke inhalation. Two dogs that were in the back yard survived and no people were hurt.

A neighbor spotted smoke coming out of the windows of the home around 2 p.m. Friday. Homeowner Joe Hine and his family weren’t home at the time.

Firefighters suspect the fire started with an electrical short in a fan. Damage is estimated at $85,000.

Source: The Gillette News Record – Gillette.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.