FEMA Awards More Than $1.4 Million to Calif. for Fire

November 2, 2004

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has approved $1.4 million to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection for eligible costs incurred in fighting the Whitmore Fire. The Whitmore Fire burned approximately 1,000 acres, and threatened homes in the Shasta County town of Whitmore.

“FEMA recognizes that states may need a helping hand to cover the full costs of battling wildland blazes,” said Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response Michael Brown. “States should not have the added burden of worrying where funding will come from when the firefighters are battling to save lives and property.”

The total cost of the firefight was approximately $1.9 million. FEMA provides 75 percent of the total and the state pays the remaining 25 percent.

Eligible costs covered by FEMA under its Fire Management Assistance Grant Program may include expenses for field camps; equipment use, repair and replacement; tools, materials and supplies; and mobilization and demobilization activities. The program, part of the President’s Disaster Relief Fund, can cover costs of fighting wildland fires that threaten to cause a major disaster.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.