Alabama Woman Scalded By Shower Awarded $175K

July 7, 2009

An Alabama woman who suffered third-degree burns after stepping into a shower of 136-degree water has been awarded $750,000 in a settlement of a lawsuit against the apartment manager.

The Mobile County court award to 25-year-old Treon Moorer, in late June, followed mediation with JRS Management Inc. of Florida. The company’s lawyer, Larry Matthews of Pensacola, declined comment.

Moorer’s attorney, Richard Taylor, said the injury came at her Shadow Oaks apartment in Mobile on June 10, 2007. She had been born with a condition that causes frequent seizures, Taylor said, and suffered one as a result of the shock of the burning water.

He said Moorer was “horribly scarred” from the neck down. Taylor says the water heater industry and burn doctors recommend a setting of 120 degrees.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.