The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has approved $833,740.95 for the Dauphin Island Water and Sewer Authority to restore the water system servicing parts of the west end of Dauphin Island, Alabama. The grant was awarded through FEMA’s Public Assistance (PA) program.
On Aug. 29, 2005, high winds, rain and tidal surges from Hurricane Katrina battered the west end of Dauphin Island, along a 3.4 mile stretch from Pirate’s Cove to Westward Ho Streets. The storm undermined, broke and dislodged the underground water supply system piping and accessories, rendering them unserviceable. Wave action and erosion damaged 6-inch and 10-inch PVC water mains, 2-inch service lines, hydrants and meters. Equipment was washed away, covered by blowing sand or damaged by heavy construction equipment.
Damage assessment is based on consultant reports, field surveys aerial photography and other onsite inspections by FEMA project officers and applicant representatives. Flyover photography was done on August 30th by the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs (ADECA), part of the Office of Natural Resources.
Under the FEMA Public Assistance program, state and local governments and certain private non-profits are eligible for partial reimbursement for the repair or restoration of public infrastructure, as well as for the cost of debris removal and emergency measures taken following a federal disaster declaration.
The $833,740.93 grant represents a 75 percent federal share of the total project cost of $1,111,654.60. The remaining 25 percent is from non-federal resources.
To be eligible for the grants, the cost to repair a particular site must exceed $1,000 and the work must be required as a result of the disaster and located within the designated disaster area. The repair and restoration is the responsibility of the agency applying for the grant and must be necessary to protect life and property.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.