Ala. Residents Reminded to be Prepared with Storm Damage Expense Records

July 15, 2005

Alabamans who apply for federal and state aid for damages stemming from Hurricane Dennis are being reminded that they need to document their losses.

The first step in recovery following a presidentially declared disaster such as Dennis is to apply for assistance by calling the Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) toll-free line, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or for speech or hearing impaired 1-800-462-7585 (TTY). Those with Internet access can register on-line at

Applicants should have their name, social security number, address, a phone number where they can be contacted and insurance information when calling. Homeowners, renters, or business owners also should contact their insurance company or agent.

If displaced from their homes or apartments, applicants also should leave an address where they can receive mail. That will ensure that they received important disaster assistance materials and any assistance checks. Help can be delayed when applicants can’t be reached.

“There are a number of other things applicants can do that will facilitate the claim,” said Alabama’s Federal Coordinating Officer, James Russo. Photographs should be taken of actual damages and receipts should be retained for expenditures pertaining to disaster-related losses or damages.”

Receipts for purchases of emergency damage repairs, materials, emergency housing rental and similar related expenses should be saved.

Inspectors will be calling and visiting after the application is made to FEMA and those records should be available when those calls and/or visits come.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.