The Division of Workers’ Compensation (DWC) approved one new Certificate of Authority to self-insure workers’ compensation claims and renewed nine such certificates. The companies receiving the certificates collectively employ approximately 33,150 employees in Texas.
United Airlines Inc., Chicago, Ill., was issued a new self-insurance certificate.
DWC renewed self-insurance certificates for the following companies:
- AAA Cooper Transportation, Dothan, Ala.
- Associated Wholesale Grocers Inc., Kansas City, Kan.
- Bradford Holding Company Inc., Corpus Christi, Texas
- E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Co., Wilmington, Del.
- Emerson Electric Co., St. Louis, Mo.
- FedEx Freight Inc., Harrison, Ark.
- Guardian Industries Corp., Auburn Hills, Mich.
- James Construction Group LLC, Baton Rouge, La.
- The Sherwin-Williams Company, Cleveland, Ohio
Under Texas law, certain large, private companies can self-insure for workers’ compensation claims, while retaining the protection of the Texas Workers’ Compensation Act for the company and for its employees. To qualify, a company must have a minimum workers’ compensation insurance unmodified manual premium of $500,000 and meet other requirements subject to annual review.
Source: Texas Department of Insurance – Division of Workers’ Compensation
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.