Dryer Fire Shuts Texas High School for a Day

May 17, 2012

A Southeast Texas school has reopened a day after a clothes dryer fire sent smoke into the building and forced cancellation of classes.

Classes resumed Wednesday at Hitchcock High School.

The Galveston County Daily News reports a malfunctioning clothes dryer caused a fire Tuesday morning. Hitchcock police say students and staff were evacuated, nobody was hurt and damage was limited to the dryer area.

Authorities say the school’s sprinkler system helped douse the flames. Superintendent Lee Knapp says repairs were needed to the building’s sprinkler system before classes could resume.

Hitchcock is 30 miles south of Houston.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.