Authorities have safely removed vials of E.coli bacteria found at a Jonesboro, Ark., apartment.
Fire officials say a maintenance man cleaning out the Willow Creek Apartments unit found vials marked “E. coli” in a Styrofoam box in a refrigerator on Friday. The facilities manager called Arkansas Department of Health.
Fire Battalion Chief Marty Hamrick told the Jonesboro Sun an Arkansas National Guard hazardous material crew removed the bacteria from the apartment. Hamrick says the vials were of medical-grade quality but there wasn’t enough danger for officials to evacuate the complex.
Tests didn’t indicate any contamination. Hamrick says authorities don’t believe anything criminal occurred.
E.coli can cause diarrhea, urinary tract infections, respiratory illness and pneumonia.
Apartment officials didn’t immediately return a request on Sunday seeking comment.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.