Former Okla. Insurance Commissioner Released from Jail

March 7, 2007

A judge ordered former Oklahoma Insurance Commissioner Carroll Fisher released from jail on Mar. 5, but took away his privilege to work under terms of an appeal bond.

Oklahoma County Judge Kenneth Watson mandated that Fisher not leave his house unless he is going to exercise or visit his doctor or attorney.

Fisher, who was convicted in 2006 on embezzlement and perjury charges, was jailed Feb. 28 for a second violation of terms of his house arrest.

The arrest came after he went to work and left in his car a device that helps keep track of his movements.

His parole supervisor also told authorities Fisher had been traveling without permission, according to Emily Lang, spokeswoman for the attorney general’s office.

Fisher, in shackles and wearing an orange inmate jumpsuit, nodded silently when he was admonished by Judge Watson for the second violation.

The judge had Fisher read the order returning him to home confinement and restricting his movements.

“There are certain conditions that you are going to have to abide by,” Watson told the former state official.

Fisher previously apologized to the judge for not having a tracking device with him and said any violations were unintentional.

Fisher faces three years in prison and a $20,000 fine if he loses his appeal on his 2006 conviction. He spent almost two weeks in jail before the trial judge put him on house arrest.

Fisher at first could only leave his house to go to the doctor, to see his attorneys or to go to court. Watson agreed Jan. 19 to let Fisher out of the house from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily to seek work.

Fisher’s movements were monitored by satellite. On house arrest, he wore an ankle bracelet and had to carry a special monitoring box with him. He first violated house arrest conditions when he left home without the box Feb. 3 and Feb. 5, officials said.

He violated his house arrest conditions again when he put the box in his car Feb. 26 while at his new job at a Tulsa furniture consignment business.

Fisher and his attorney complained about technical difficulties with the monitoring box. They said at the furniture job it repeatedly beeped and was interfering with his work, particularly when he was on the phone.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.