The Paris prosecutor’s office opened probes into allegedly tainted infant formula distributed by Nestlé SA, Danone, Groupe Lactalis and two other brands.
The investigation involves potential charges of “deception regarding goods that pose a danger to human health,” which can lead to as much as seven years in prison and €3.75 million ($4.45 million) in fines, the prosecutor’s office said in a statement Friday.
Related: Danone Infant Formula Recalls Expand in UK, Ireland
The probes, led by the office’s public health division, will seek to establish potential responsibility for endangering lives by violating safety rules, failure to recall tainted products and other violations.
Nestlé, Danone and Lactalis didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment outside of working hours.
Related: Target, Walmart, Whole Foods Targeted in Botulism Suits
The three food majors have recalled some products in several countries after the European Union’s food safety authorities recommended lower toxin levels last week. Also implicated in the Paris probe are Babybio and La Marque En Moins.
The Paris office said the probe will coordinate with investigations into the deaths several babies by prosecutors in Bordeaux, Angers and Blois. At issue is the possible presence of cereulide, a toxin traced to contamination of arachidonic acid oil, a component often added to infant formula.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Waymo Co-CEO Outlines Path to 1 Million Weekly Trips in 2026
Portugal Rolls Out $2.9 Billion Aid as Deadly Flooding Spreads
Why 2026 Is The Tipping Point for The Evolving Role of AI in Law and Claims
EPA Reverses Climate Stance Underpinning Emissions-Cutting Rules