MARYSVILLE, Ohio (AP) — Seven people were hospitalized in critical condition Saturday after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning at a Hampton Inn in Ohio, local officials said.
A total of 13 people were taken to local hospitals, according to WCLU Radio. Marysville Fire Chief Jay Riley told The Columbus Dispatch that the source of the carbon monoxide was unclear but everyone who was hospitalized had been in the hotel’s pool area.
Riley said the victims included both children and adults. He did not provide exact ages.
“We did have life-threatening levels of carbon monoxide in the pool area of the hotel, and we transported several people to local hospitals. We continue the investigation into the source and glad that no one died as a result of their exposure,” Riley told the radio station.
Authorities said they received a 911 call Saturday evening about a 2-year-old girl who had either fallen into the pool or was found in the pool unconscious at the Hampton Inn in Marysville. More 911 calls soon followed about unconscious people or others who reported symptoms such as dizziness and a burning in the throat, Marysville Police Chief Tony Brooks said.
The hotel was evacuated shortly after. Brooks told the newspaper that all of the injured were alive when they were transported and that seven of the patients were in critical condition.
Two others were treated at the scene, and five more later sought treatment on their own at a hospital, Brooks said.
The Dispatch could not reach any members of the hotel management late Saturday. Riley said a Hampton Inn maintenance team was en route from out of state.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.