Cause of Fire at University Archives May Have Been Caused by Light Fixture

December 12, 2012

Authorities say fire at Michigan Technological University’s archives that soaked hundreds of boxes of documents may have been caused by a light fixture.

WLUC-TV reports that officials at the school in Houghton say, however, that there is no definitive cause of the October fire.

The investigation now has been closed. The room where the fire started is under repair.

Boxes of documents, including old Upper Peninsula mining company records, were sent to a freeze-drying facility with hopes that they can be saved by removing moisture. Officials are hopeful that the majority of the documents will be returned to the school.

The school’s archives closed following the fire. There’s now a temporary service area in the library that’s open some days.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.