Michigan Nonprofit Details Donations Lost in Weekend Fire

December 21, 2011

A charitable organization in Lansing, Mich., says a weekend fire destroyed more than six months’ worth of donated clothing and possibly two months of donated furniture.

The Lansing State Journal reports that Marcia Barrons Maiville, president of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul’s Lansing District Council, on Monday detailed the extent of the damage from Sunday’s fire.

Maiville says insurance covers up to $50,000 in contents. She said the goods that were destroyed may have been worth twice that.

The nonprofit hopes to open a temporary thrift store soon.

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Lansing is opening a clothing bank Tuesday to help those in need following the fire.

Authorities believe the fire was accidental and started in a room used to store and refinish furniture.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.