Hallmark Sued for House Fire Linked to Snow Globe

November 18, 2011

An insurance company is seeking $1.8 million from Hallmark Cards and another company over a defective snow globe blamed for a fire that destroyed a home in northern Michigan.

The Jumbo Snowman snow globe was recalled in 2008, weeks after a fire destroyed the Petoskey home of Stephen and Florence Hajek. Federal regulators say the globe could act as a magnifying glass in the sun and cause a fire.

Auto-Owners Insurance paid $1.8 million after the home was destroyed. The Petoskey News-Review says the Hajeks own card stores and had snow globes in their garage.

The lawsuit filed Nov. 2 in federal court in Grand Rapids accuses Hallmark and a Taiwan company of negligence and product liability. A message seeking comment was left with Hallmark on Wednesday.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.