A fire at an insulation warehouse in Fort Wayne burned through the night after firefighters stopped spraying it with water in order to limit the spread of chemical-contaminated runoff.
The blaze at Momper Insulation was reported late Sunday morning, sending up a plume of black smoke that could be seen miles away. Authorities warned people to stay inside their homes and some residents evacuated the area.
Streets near the warehouse remained closed Monday morning. A cause for the fire wasn’t immediately known.
Company president Matt Momper tells The Journal Gazette that the warehouse contained fiberglass insulation and polyurethane-foam insulation kept in 55-gallon drums.
Fire Chief Pete Kelly tells WANE-TV that crews intended to let the blaze burn itself out in an attempt to minimize the environmental impact.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.