2008 Fatal South Dakota Fire Sparks Wrongful Death Lawsuit

August 9, 2011

A house fire in South Dakota’s Union County that killed three children and their grandmother three years ago has led to a wrongful death lawsuit.

The Argus Leader reports that the family of the victims is suing Indiana-based Tru-Flex Metal Hose in federal court.

The state fire marshal ruled that the cause of the fatal fire on Aug. 12, 2008, was “undetermined.” The family maintains that the fire was caused by a combination of lightning and steel tubing gas line.

The company did not immediately respond to the lawsuit.

The fire killed 61-year-old Martha Yates, 10-year-old Emmaline Scott, 4-year-old Raymond Scott and 2-year-old Mitchell Scott.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.