Disaster Aid Made Available to Agencies in Pair of Kan. Counties Following Storms

August 19, 2004

Local governments in two additional Kansas counties are now eligible to apply for reimbursements for losses or costs resulting from severe storms, tornadoes and flooding that affected the state from mid-June to mid-July, federal and state recovery officials said on Thursday.

The counties are Rooks and Woodson

They join Butler, Cherokee, Ellis, Geary, Graham, Jewell, Labette, Lyon, Mitchell, Osborne, Phillips, Rush, Russell, Shawnee, Smith, Trego and Wyandotte counties among counties made eligible under President Bush’s major disaster declaration for Kansas on Aug. 3, 2004. In all, 19 Kansas counties are now included in that declaration.

“These counties are the ones that suffered major damage to their public infrastructure – roads, bridges and utilities – from high winds, heavy rains and flooding. These Public Assistance funds will assist the counties to effect repairs more quickly and also to mitigate damage from future storms,” Maj. Gen. (KS) Tod Bunting, the Governor’s Authorized Representative, said.

Affected state and local government agencies and certain non-profit agencies providing a government-like service in the 19 counties are eligible to apply for reimbursements for the approved cost for debris removal, emergency services related to the disaster and repairing or replacing damaged public facilities, such as roads, buildings and utilities.

The assistance is provided under the Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and State of Kansas Public Assistance Program. The state administers the program. FEMA pays 75 percent of the approved costs. The other 25 percent is made up from non-federal sources.

Procedures for requesting assistance will be explained at a series of applicant briefings for local officials.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.