Authorities are pleading with residents not to use generators or gas grills inside Philadelphia-area homes left without power by the icy weather.
Robert Kagel, deputy director for emergency management in Chester County, told WCAU-TV on Thursday that 20 to 25 people were taken to hospitals overnight with carbon monoxide poisoning.
He said some of the more seriously injured were transferred to Philadelphia hospitals for treatment.
Kagel said about 130 people spent the night in emergency shelters in the county, one of the hardest hit by Wednesday’s storm.
In past storms officials have repeatedly warned of the dangers of using generators or gas grills inside or keeping cars running with garage doors closed.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.