Top executives of the power companies hit hardest by Superstorm Sandy are defending their response to power outages across eastern Pennsylvania.
Executives from PPL, PECO and FirstEnergy told a Senate panel Wednesday that Sandy caused more damage than Hurricane Irene and other storms that struck the state last year, leaving 1.2 million customers without power at its peak.
It took nine days to restore power, but the officials said it might have been worse if they had not heeded the lessons of 2011. They cited improved planning, better communication with customers and increased cooperation with state agencies.
Sen. Robert Tomlinson, chairman of the consumer protection committee, agreed the utilities did a great job overall. But he said they still need to improve communication with customers and local governments.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Odey Settles Sexual Assault Cases Ahead of London Trial
Half of Pilots Killed in US Accidents Tested Positive for Drugs
34,000 PG&E Customers Without Power on California Fire Risk
OpenAI Floats Idea of Global AI Governance Body With US, China