A jury has ruled that a Lewiston, Maine., landlord was not responsible for a child tenant’s lead poisoning.
The jury determined after three and a half hours of deliberation that Double Eagle Properties LLC shouldn’t be held liable for the elevated blood-lead levels of the now 7-year-old boy, who according to his parents’ lawyer, has behavioral problems, a lowered IQ and learning disabilities.
A lawyer for the boy’s parents argued that the building’s owners should have replaced windows in the apartment that created dust that contained lead paint. They were asking for $11 million.
The Sun Journal reports that the lawyer called the verdict “really unfortunate.”
A lawyer for the defendants say the owners complied with all local, state and federal legal requirements regarding lead paint.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.