Verizon has been fined more than $140,000 for safety violations in connection with the electrocution death of a technician in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Douglas LaLima was working in a lift bucket while installing cables when he came into contact with a power line in September of last year.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration found that the bucket was too close to the power line and that LaLima lacked insulation gloves and had not been adequately trained.
Verizon spokesman John Bonomo said the company does not believe the death was the result of Verizon failing to follow any OSHA safety requirements. He says Verizon “goes to excruciating detail” to make sure its employees have proper training and working tools.
OSHA announced the fine on Monday. Bonomo says Verizon plans to appeal.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.