A federal judge says the amount of back wages owed to minorities impacted by discrimination in New York City’s firefighter entrance exams could be more than $128 million.
In a decision Thursday, U.S. District Judge Nicholas Garaufis said there would have to be hearings held to determine how much individual claimants would receive, which could lower the total amount the city would have to pay.
Garaufis had ruled last year that the Fire Department of New York discriminated against minorities in its entrance exam. Some minorities who might have otherwise been hired weren’t, and others who were hired might have been hired sooner.
The city’s lawyers said the opinion is “erroneous” and that any money the city has to pay will be far less than $128 million.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Wall Street Watchdogs Pause Some Cyber Exams After Mythos Shock
New York Homes Most Exposed to Hurricane Risk, Beating Miami
Verisk, insured.io, Omni and TruVideo Rolling out New Tech
Lake Tahoe Power Crunch Shows AI’s Growing Energy Toll in West