Malfunctioning heaters are being blamed for high levels of carbon monoxide that sickened more than two dozen people at a Pennsylvania apartment building.
Fire officials say five people had to be hospitalized after the odorless gas was detected Sunday inside a Reading apartment building.
Reports of gas fumes brought firefighters to the building Sunday afternoon. Reading Deputy Fire Chief Tom Kemery says their carbon monoxide alarms immediately went off, triggering the evacuation.
Seventeen people were in the building at the time.
Ten or 12 more had felt sick that morning but had already left after visiting residents. They were told to seek medical attention.
Officials say the exposure was caused by two heaters that apparently malfunctioned.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.