Propane Heater Caused Fire at Conn. Cat Sanctuary

November 8, 2011

A worker at a Connecticut animal sanctuary says a fire that killed 30 cats Friday night was caused by a wall-mounted propane heater that got too hot and combusted.

The fire at the Last Post sanctuary in the Falls Village section of Canaan destroyed two buildings and the sanctuary’s maintenance shop. Another 130 cats weren’t harmed.

The group’s business administrator, Susan Leach-Gregan, said Monday that the local fire marshal determined a propane heater in one of the buildings caused the blaze. She says the heater kicked on because of the power outage and overheated.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.