Fumes Sicken Construction Crew in Central Pennsylvania

May 24, 2011

Fire officials say several construction workers had to be taken to the hospital in central Pennsylvania after a piece of machinery filled the building they were working in with carbon monoxide fumes.

West York Fire Department Capt. Stew Frey says the crew had been doing work at an old bank building when one of the workers began getting sick from the fumes. Frey tells the York Daily Record the men were taken to the hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

He says one person was considered to be in serious condition.

Officials say it appears that a gas-powered saw being used to cut the floor didn’t have enough ventilation. Frey says fans were brought in and the doors were opened up, but it took about two hours to clear out the fumes.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.