A 56-year-old Maine man has been charged with six counts of arson for allegedly setting a string of fires in his hometown of Acton.
The state fire marshal’s office said two fire investigators arrested John Hogan III on Thursday upon his release from Spring Harbor Hospital in Westbrook, where he had been undergoing evaluation since the day of the fires.
About 75 firefighters from departments in Maine and nearby New Hampshire responded to the fires the night of April 27. The fires destroyed two seasonal houses, a pontoon boat, an SUV and a shed, while damaging a third house.
Hogan is being held at the York County Jail in Alfred.
Copyright 2026 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
NTSB Says UPS Didn’t Act After 2011 Boeing Letter on Defect
CommScope Sued by Lenders for at Least $150 Million Over Alleged Breach
Verisk Report Shows Drop in US Reconstruction Costs in 2Q
34,000 PG&E Customers Without Power on California Fire Risk