Fire officials say a fire that extensively damaged a northern New Jersey restaurant started when grease in ductwork above a charcoal broiler ignited.
Firefighters from several towns battled the blaze at the Chevy’s Fresh Mex in Parsippany for about two hours. It was brought under control around 10:30 a.m. Thursday.
The restaurant wasn’t open when the fire began. The only employee who was inside got out safely.
One firefighter was taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation but was expected to be released later in the day.
The blaze caused major traffic delays on busy Route 10 in the area.
Officials say there was heavy fire damage in the kitchen and bar area and water damage throughout the restaurant.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.