Fire Damages New Hampshire Soup Kitchen

May 3, 2011

A fire at a Concord soup kitchen injured two people, caused over $100,000 in damage and blew black smoke in the city’s downtown area, firefighters said Saturday.

Firefighters responded to the fire at The Friendly Kitchen just before 10:30 a.m. They had the three-alarm fire under control at 12:04 p.m.

One man who was inside the two-story house suffered burns to his face and hands while attempting to fight the fire, Concord Fire Chief Dan Andrus said. A firefighter suffered from heat exhaustion and overexertion. Both were taken to Concord Hospital, where the firefighter was expected to be released after treatment.

Louise Parenteau, a volunteer at the soup kitchen, said breakfast had been served from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. and one person would have been cleaning up at the time of the fire. Parenteau said a caretaker and one other person live inside.

The cause of the fire wasn’t immediately known.

The Friendly Kitchen, which has served Concord’s low-income community since 1980, has worked out of its current location since 1999. The house itself was built in 1920.

The soup kitchen served over 57,400 meals in 2009.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.