An investigator looking at last month’s fire that destroyed a block of buildings along New Hampshire’s Hampton Beach estimates the damage to be at least $9.5 million.
Hampton Fire Prevention Officer Jon True says that number takes into account the loss of the businesses and inventory, fire department equipment, and other categories. He says that may be a conservative estimate.
Investigators from Hampton, the state and insurance companies are working to determine the cause, origin and damage reports from the fire, which was reported early Feb. 26 at the Surf Hotel and spread to an arcade, a gift shop, and other businesses.
A final report is not expected for several weeks.
Copyright 2026 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Trump Set to Sign AI Cybersecurity Directive as Soon as Thursday
Meta Settles School Suit Over Social Media, Averting First Trial
The Big Dog Is Off the Tech Porch: State Farm as ‘Next Gen Good Neighbor’
Waymo Suspends Service in Atlanta as Robotaxis Stumped by Floods