Vermont Funeral Home Fire Ruled Accidental

September 16, 2009

A fire that damaged a funeral home in Brattleboro, Vermont, has been ruled accidental, traced to a vent pipe over the crematorium.

Brattleboro Fire Chief Michael Bucossi says over the years of operation, the heat from the vent pipe had dried the wood surrounding it. He told the Brattleboro Reformer the heat from the chimney got hot enough and ignited the wood, causing the damage at the Ker-Westerlund and Fleming Funeral Home on Friday.

The main funeral home and the crematorium received minor to moderate smoke and water damage. A second-floor apartment above the crematorium was completely gutted.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.